Sunday, October 01, 2006

Aurora Borealis

So, it's Lauren's birthday. She lives on my floor and is from Tennessee. In fact, she is from Chattanooga, Tennessee, a place I have hitherto only known of because of its choochoo. But, it's her birthday today - she is twenty-one. We made some party food, mostly involving various combinations of garlic and cheese. My present to her was to teach her how to make Dark And Stormies: the important thing is not to stint on the amount of lime you add, especially as most ginger beer is far too sweet. So - did I say this before? - it's Lauren's birthday, and we're drinking the aforementioned Dark and Stormies. Someone looks out of the window and says, "Hey, the Northern Lights!". And we look out of the window and what do you know, there they are. They are primarily green today, except they fade into blue every now and again. They ripple and move and grow brighter and darker. Everyone from my floor walks down to the beach in order to be able to see them without so much light pollution. It is one of those things that you look at and say, "Ah!" - like fireworks or new-born children.

This is a post which would work much better with some of my photographs in it, but all the attempts I made to photograph the Northern Lights were hopeless. This is a page with some pictures which look very little like what I actually saw, but it'll have to do until my brother comes out to visit me, bringing his high-quality space-age camera with him.

No comments: