Thursday, November 16, 2006

O.J. Simpson

O.J. Simpson is publishing a book. It is a 'hypothetical memoir' called If I Did It, Here's How it Happened. In it, as you might be able to guess, Mr Simpson describes how he would have murdered his wife if this were a crime he had committed. It's said to be very realistic. Two things: First, Humbert Humbert's diary being found by his second wife, Lolita's mother.

'You are ruining my life and yours,' I said quietly. 'Let us be civilised people. It is all your hallucination. You are crazy, Charlotte. The notes you found were fragments of a novel. Your name and hers were put in by mere chance. Just because they came handy. Think it over. I shall bring you a drink.'

Secondly, how far can this go? Can I write a book called If I Were Being Libellous, Here's Some Offensive Speculation and expect to get away with it?

I don't know if this post is inspired by the fact that it rhymes with the previous one.

No comments: