Monday, February 19, 2007

Rocks and Weather

The beach which the flat faces onto, the Playa de los Bateles, is only one of a series of beaches which stretch off to the north. These are separated by little headlands. You could represent this diagrammatically by a series of 'v's, thus: vvvvvv. The sea comes right up to the top of the the 'v's, and so it is only possible to get from one beach to another when the tide is low. I think I'm making heavy weather of this explanation because I don't want to call the 'v's 'coves' or 'bays', because I don't know exactly what makes a beach a bay or a cove.
Anyhow, the tide was particularly low a couple of days ago, so I was able to walk a whole w to the north, and take a photo of the sandstone cliffs out there. The shore was littered with the skeletons of squid.

By contrast, the tide was very high a couple of days later, and a heavy onshore wind forced the sea to cover the whole beach. It was slightly apocalyptic.

No comments: