Sunday, May 18, 2008

What did I eat?

We went to a very good Indian restaurant yesterday. I had king fish cooked in a banana leaf. It wasn't until the second or third mouthful that I realised I didn't know what king fish is. Unfortunately, neither does anyone else. It could be king mackerel (Scomberomorus cavalla);

one of the kingcroaker family (Menticirrhus americanus, Menticirrhus undulatus, Menticirrhus littoralis, or Menticirrhus saxatilis: the picture is of Menticirrhus saxatilis);

or else the narrow-barred Spanish mackerel (Scomberomorus commerson);

or the white croaker (Genyonemus lineatus: unlikely, as it only occurs in the Eastern Pacific);

or the perciform cobia (Rachycentron canadum);

the wahoo (Acanthocybium solandri);

the crevalle jack (caranx hippos);

the japanese meagre (Argyrosomus japonicus: I can only find this suitably inadequate photograph of it);

the yellowtail amberjack (seriola lalandi: this could be the California yellowtail (seriola lalandi dorsalis), the southern yellowtail (seriola lalandi lalandi) or the Asian yellowtail (seriola lalandi aureovitta));

the opah (lampris guttatus or lampris immaculatus: you may know this fish better as the Jerusalem haddock);

the silver gemfish (rexea solandri);

or the giant trevally (caranx ignobilis: pound for pound, one of the toughest fish to catch in the world, I'm told).

I'd say it was probably a scombrid, but apart from that can't go much further. Whatever it was, it was most tasty.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've asked a sea biologist friend about the taxonomy of the mackerel we use to eat in Cádiz, and it is Scomber scomber L.

I think this information may be helpful in future visits.

James Womack said...

I'm sure it will be very useful. Instead of ordering 'caballa', I can now use the proper name and all the waiters in Cádiz will love me. It's interesting that the king mackerel is Scomberomorus cavalla, cavalla being the same word as caballa, presumably. The Russian for mackerel is скумбруя, skumbriya, which must be the same word as scomber. Piscine taxonomy is very interesting.

Anonymous said...

Very nice post. I just stumbled upon your weblog and wished to say that I've truly enjoyed surfing around your blog posts.
In any case I'll be subscribing to your rss feed and I hope you
write again very soon!

My homepage; seo