Thursday, June 18, 2009

Insects and Nuns

I woke disgustingly early this morning, and went for a walk before it got too hot to move or breathe. The fishermen were out unwinding the almadraba, an activity which looks good both in panorama or bookmark form.


I walked a bit along the dried-up riverbed, and looked at the black sand blown into shapes with the white sand.


The abandoned boat of two years back was still there, still abandoned.

But this was something I hadn't seen before. Nuns are not normally allowed to enjoy themselves. Though I did catch a pair of the dun-coloured ones looking into the window of a lingerie shop in Cádiz last week, but they turned my camera into a toad as I tried to take a picture of them.

And then, insects: snails and thistles; ants; a vasty beetle.



And this is the latest example of civic renovation in Conil: the fountain is beautifully cool, and the sign is pleasantly out-of-date. Crib below.

"Public Fountain. The use of this water for purposes other than drinking is forbidden, neither may you throw filth into these surroundings, on pain of a fine of between 5 and 25 pesetas. This fountain restored in 1919, A. Ureba being mayor."

No comments: