Monday, June 21, 2010

Ghana 1-1 Australia

Ellis Ayitey Komey

[I can't find a photo; I don't know the birthday]

Oblivion

I want to remember the fallen palm
With whitening fluid of wine
Dripping from its hardened belly
In this forest of life.
I want to remember it from the road
With mud on my feet,
And thorn-scraped flesh
From the branches by the water.
I want to remember them well
The sight of the green-eyed forest
The jubilant voices of the frogs
And the pleading crises of the owls.
I want to walk among the palms
With their razor-edged leaves
Shadowing the yam and cassava shrubs
Under which the crab builds its castle
And the cocoa pods drooping like mother’s
Breasts feeding a hungry child.
I want to remember them all
Before they die and turn to mud
When I have gone.


Miriam Wei Wei Lo (1983- )



Light

Let us hold each other tightly
knowing this light that we stand in
is a slow burning
that fuses the bones together,
a forge that will melt us, silica-bright,
to wink in the sand like water
caught like glass, caught like flame.

No comments: